Vertical scroll recent comments

Vertical scroll recent comments wordpress plugin will scroll the recent post comment vertically (bottom to top) in the widget. This is the best and stylish way to show the recent comments to user. We have option to show avatar images along with comments. No coding language required to setup this plugin. Just activate the plugin and drag and drop the vertical scroll recent comments widget to your sidebar. And check the front end. You can see the recent comments scroller in the front end. To update the setting go to setting page and do the changes.

Want to scroll the recent post instead of comment? Use my vertical scroll recent post wordpress plugin to scroll the recent post title in the widget.

• Easy to install and configure.
  • It’s scrolling vertical so we can display more comments.
  • User can see the newest comments at sidebar.
  • You can customize the number of recent comments to display.
  • It’s scrolling so it occupies less space in sidebar.
  • Option to display avatar image in the scroll.

Live demo available on sidebar. Want to scroll your own content instead of comment? Use my continuous announcement scroller plugin to scroll the recent post title in the widget.

Drag and drop the widget: Go to widget page under appearance tab, Drag and drop vertical scroll recent comments widget into your side bar. It’s very easy.

Add directly in the theme: Use this code, <?php if (function_exists (vsrc)) vsrc(); ?> to add the gallery to your Theme files.

Admin setting page

• Each comments height in the widget: This is the height the single comment, this field is required to smooth scroll.
  • Display number of comments at the same time in scroll: This field is to display no of comment at the same time in the front end.
  • Enter max number of comments to scroll: This is to fetch number of comment from database to display.
  • Enter comment character length: This field is to display number of character to display in each comment.

Q1. Where to update the plugin setting?

Dashboard → Settings → Vertical scroll recent comment

Q2. Number of recent comment will scroll?

Admin can set this number in widget management area. Use Enter max number of comments to scroll field text box to update this number.

Q3. Numbers of recent comment display at same time?

Admin can set this number in widget management area. Enter the number in this textbox field Display number of comments at the same time in scroll to update this number.

Q4. Why only few characters display in scroll?

In default it will show only 50 characters, in setting page we have option to update this number.

Q5. Is possible to hide avatar display from scroll?

Yes, go to setting page and use the radio button to hide avatar.

Installation instruction configuration

• Download the plugin vertical-scroll-recent-comments.zip from download location.
  • Unpack the vertical-scroll-recent-comments.zip file.
  • Extract the /vertical-scroll-recent-comments/ folder.
  • Drop the vertical-scroll-recent-comments folder into your ‘wp-content/plugins’ folder.
  • You should see your vertical scroll recent post plug-in listed.

• Search vertical scroll recent post plugin using search option.

• Go to ‘add new’ menu under ‘plugins’ tab in your word press admin.
  • Upload the available vertical-scroll-recent-comments.zip file and click install now.

Other useful plugins

84 Responses to“Vertical scroll recent comments”

1. admin
    July 19, 2010 at 4:43 pm #

Feel free to post your comments, and see your posted comments in recent comments list.

• James
      September 22, 2011 at 8:56 am #

Could you please add an option to change the scrolling speed please? Great plugin : )

2. admin
    July 19, 2010 at 4:43 pm #

Nice plugin!
    I have tweaked it a bit:
    – Added multibyte string support (substr()->mb_substr() if available)
    – using … instead of …

3. Mary
    July 27, 2010 at 5:58 am #

Hi Gopi! Can I use this widget to put in my own text and links? I need this for a client’s website! xoxo mary

4. Martin
    July 28, 2010 at 12:43 am #

Hey, this is an awesome plugin.. thanks for creating and sharing it.

is there a way to slow down the scroll speed?

Martin

• MarkR
      February 25, 2011 at 2:42 am #

Good work so far with your plugin. My needs are:

1) would love to deploy the scrolling comments in more than one location with different content in each

2) would love to limit comments in any one location to comments in just one single post

I’m sure that with enough study, I can figure out how to do the aforementioned enhancements. I am hoping that you or someone else has already done this and can share the code tweaks.

5. piti4ek
    July 28, 2010 at 9:09 am #

Have a problem with encoding – showing of russian word incorrect (

• DoctorPapa
      October 27, 2010 at 8:12 pm #

The same

6. TheFlyOnTheWall
    July 28, 2010 at 7:04 pm #

How can we ELIMINATE our reply (the blogs reply) in the comment sections? I try to reply to every comment left and these don’t need to show up on the comment scroll.

I would rather scroll the people that visit my blog and not myself.

7. Gopi
    July 29, 2010 at 2:00 am #

To TheFlyOnTheWall

Hi at present we dont have this option, but i will do this in the next version.. nice idea.

8. Calvin Starnes
    July 31, 2010 at 12:11 am #

I would love to know how to tweak the speed of the scroll and the font size and color.

July 31, 2010 at 3:42 am #

Hi if you want to change the speed open “vertical-scroll-recent-comments.js” this JS file and find the setTimeout function and update number.

9. Calvin Starnes
    July 31, 2010 at 1:11 am #

Also at the end of the comments that I have scrolling there are three periods, “…” What are they and how do I get rid of them?

July 31, 2010 at 3:43 am #

Open “vertical-scroll-recent-comments.php” this php file, line number 78(or search 3 dots) and remove it…

11. Calvin Starnes
    July 31, 2010 at 4:44 pm #

1) Three periods issue fixed. THANKS!

2) Found two instances of setTimeout in the JS File. Do you know what the number settings should be to make it slower or faster? I tested them both at various numbers and it made no change.

3) And any chance for a solution regarding changing font style and size?

July 31, 2010 at 4:51 pm #

You can find css in main plugin page “vertical-scroll-recent-comments.php” update the css to correct css,

create new CSS class for link and update that into line number 82.

Please share your link.

12. Lee
    August 10, 2010 at 11:52 am #

Id like to insert this into the page above posts.
    Whats going to be the easiest way to do that?

August 10, 2010 at 4:14 pm #

You can add this plugin in sidebar or desired location in php file, we cant include this into post or page.

13. Woolf
    August 12, 2010 at 10:33 am #

Thanks for sharing this plugin, one question how to add name of post above each comment ?

August 12, 2010 at 4:11 pm #

At present we don’t have this feature, i will check and implement it in the next version.

14. Helene
    August 23, 2010 at 3:50 am #

Hi, lovely plugin! Thanks for this. I wonder if it would be possible in the next version to have an option to display the post title for each comment, and the date & time each comment was left?

15. Josh Arcadia
    August 23, 2010 at 4:17 am #

I love this plugin! try to enhanced like sodaHead.com and I will pay!

16. The Machine
    August 30, 2010 at 5:27 am #

oh… this is my comment… wow!

17. Calvin Starnes
    September 13, 2010 at 6:27 pm #

Just wondering if you figured out a way to:

1) Slow down the scroll speed

2) Increase the font size

September 19, 2010 at 5:36 am #

setTimeout(“vsrc_scroll();”, 10);
      setTimeout(“vsrc_scroll();”, 2000);

1. Find the above two line in the plugin javascript file and update the value “10” & “2000” in that line.

2. font size is depends on your widget css.

18. Andrew
    September 25, 2010 at 10:50 pm #

Sent email message with a request :)

Top class plugin!
    Cheers!

19. cameron
    October 15, 2010 at 5:38 pm #

is there a way to have the comments ordered by oldest to newest vertically. it makes more sense if I reply to comments that the response is after the comment and not before.

comment 1
    comment 1 response

instead of:

comment 1 response
    comment 1

20. Henry Wilk
    October 24, 2010 at 5:19 pm #

Great plug-in! The only problem I have is the comments are all underlined. When I mouse-over, the underlining goes away. Any ideas?

21. DoctorPapa
    October 27, 2010 at 8:11 pm #

Like piti4ek posted below I Have a problem with encoding – showing of russian word incorrect too. Please help.

22. Umar
    November 18, 2010 at 3:33 pm #

Great Plugin, Would be useful if the widget could be used multiple times in the backend. Such as use on multiple widget areas.

23. E
    December 13, 2010 at 11:40 am #

ThanQ 4 this great and useful plugin ! but there’s a bug ! when I wanna insert it in my theme (any themes) it doesn’t scroll !!!!!

Can u plz do me a favor and let me know what the problem is ?

Thanx in advance

24. mass money makers jv
    February 1, 2011 at 10:38 pm #

cool post. Filled me with a far better idea of often the financial climate. Appreciation friend

25. Pupu
    February 3, 2011 at 8:09 pm #

Dear Admin,

Nice plugin……………
    How can we show the Title of the commented article on the scroll up comments?

26. Numaga
    February 7, 2011 at 9:22 am #

First of all: great plugin! Secondly I think with just a few more configuration options this could be the BEST free recent comments plugin outthere.

1) Right now you can choose to show avatar OR name, why not an option for both?
    2) It starts scrolling down in the first second? I can barely read the first comment before it starts scrolling down. An option to make it scroll after an X amount of seconds would be a great addition. I did this manually for my own site but to have this in the config panel would be way more user friendly.
    3) The option to add the post name.
    4) Set the avatar size

Tnx for this great plugin, looking forward to the next version!

• colecmc
      March 22, 2012 at 5:38 pm #

This is a great plugin! I agree with @Numaga. Author name and Avatar would be great. Along with post name and maybe the date.

27. Luis Espinoza
    March 20, 2011 at 12:51 am #

Hi. I installed this nice plug in but have a problem. When I try to obtain the options to setup the widget choosing Avatar, etc. I obtain this messagge:

Warning: call_user_func_array() expects parameter 2 to be array, string given in /home2/podiospe/public_html/wp-admin/includes/widgets.php on line 192

Widget appears in my web but I can’t change the options. Can you help me please???

You can see the widget in:

Thanks a lot…

28. Pupu
    March 22, 2011 at 11:34 am #

Nice plugin.

Can we change the display?
    I mean, instead of the comments, can it be the TITLE of the news items/articles along with the count?

Just wondering!

29. Brian
    March 22, 2011 at 2:54 pm #

I created a shortcode and added this to my page, but the scrolling comments don’t stay inline on the page, they push to the top of the page. How do I get them to stay in with the text of the page?

30. Nagarajan
    March 25, 2011 at 10:23 am #

Hi find you have created so many useful plugins. I would like to whether there is any way to show the all the comments of the blog in a separate page. This will be very useful.

Can this vertical scroll recent comments be made to display in a page.

31. Kari Leigh
    April 29, 2011 at 7:17 pm #

Thank you for this plugin. It’s outstanding.

I seem to only be able to use it in one location (widget area) however, unless of course I enter it into the php, which I’d rather not do because I’d like my end user to be able to control where it goes without getting my attention to change the php. Any suggestions?

32. A2Politico
    May 23, 2011 at 9:35 pm #

Hey,

For some reason the app quit scrolling. I’ve tried reinstalling, but it is still frozen. It was working fine, then, no more scrolling. Any ideas how I can fix it or about what went wrong??

33. Mang Anyunk
    June 17, 2011 at 10:41 am #

Great plugin..
    I have used your plugin since the very first version. But this now I want to ask you : How to customize the code since I want the comments show only from specific post.

Thanks a lot…

34. ashok
    June 26, 2011 at 3:49 pm #

have installed the vertical scroller. However when i click on any link it opens the most recent posts only and does not open the required post. What may be the reason and how can that be tackled

35. greatseo
    July 11, 2011 at 10:33 am #

nice plugin! if you could add avartar it would be the greatest! thanks

• greatseo
      July 11, 2011 at 10:34 am #

opps! actually you could. sorry bout that. nice plugin. thanks

• Brikci Salim
      January 23, 2013 at 11:18 am #

A great plugin thank you

36. wrizuan.net
    July 18, 2011 at 9:46 pm #

where can i put code if i use option 2…

37. Piyush
    July 20, 2011 at 7:41 am #

i want to stop scrolling on mouse over. can u suggest me a java script for that?

38. bluantinoo
    July 21, 2011 at 11:29 am #

nice simple plugin.
    just need two little things:
    1) scrolling duration setting
    2) pause on mouse_hover

39. Carolyn
    July 29, 2011 at 6:27 pm #

Great plugin. I love the simplicity. However, I was wondering if there is an easy way to have the scrolled comment link back to the article not the comment.

40. Luis Trinidad
    August 6, 2011 at 3:43 am #

great plugin gopi…

in this plugin you can add this… the “both” option within the other options :)

41. jerrin
    November 19, 2011 at 6:57 am #

can i change the size of the window showing the scrolling comments???????
    anyway its really nice pluggin

November 19, 2011 at 11:53 am #

it is equal to ur widget width

42. Erskin Hansen
    November 21, 2011 at 5:22 pm #

I don’t know if anyone has already requested this so I apologize if I’m beating a dead horse by asking again.

I would really like for this plugin to have the option of having “check boxes” rather than “radio buttons”; for the purpose of selecting multiple things to display at the same time.

For example: Having the option select “Display Name” and “Display Avatar” at the same time instead of only being able to chose one or the other.

Awesome plugin!!

43. Burak Sepici
    November 22, 2011 at 7:56 am #

First of all, great widget! The only feature it lacks is the inability to use it in more than one sidebars. Is there a way I can turn this into a multi-widget?

44. rselvasm
    November 27, 2011 at 1:05 am #

esto es una prueba

45. Alex
    November 30, 2011 at 3:28 am #

nice plugin, but it fails markup validation with 43 errors on line 129. all error in the same line: $vsrp_x = $vsrp_x . “vsrp_array[$vsrp_count] = ‘$vsrp_post_title‘; “;

are you planning to fix this?

46. Alex
    January 25, 2012 at 10:06 am #

Hello. I have a little problem with displaying recent comment. In the end of a cropped comment in scroller I have this symbol “�”.

p.s. all comments are in russian lenguage

How can I fix it?

47. Jean
    February 2, 2012 at 7:23 pm #

A breeze to set up and configure, works great. Thank you for this great plugin.

48. Erik
    February 8, 2012 at 11:44 pm #

Thanks for this great plugin!

49. Epss
    February 18, 2012 at 8:11 am #

I want to stop scrolling the post on mouseover. Please told me where to change..

50. sddsds
    February 24, 2012 at 10:16 pm #

sdasdsa

51. Rafał Sikora
    March 5, 2012 at 2:31 pm #

@Alex – “�”
    change:
    $vsrc_post_title = substr($vsrc_post_title, 0, $vsrc_select_character);

on

$vsrc_post_title = mb_substr ( $vsrc_post_title , 0 , $vsrc_select_character , ‘UTF-8′ );

52. Stephen
    March 5, 2012 at 8:41 pm #

Bug report: apostrophes in the comment author’s name aren’t escaped, so cause the javascript to break. Pretty simple to fix.

53. Verdi
    March 13, 2012 at 12:41 pm #

Hi, Some of readers would like to be able to turn off the display of recent comments. They state it’s slowing up their browser. Would it be possible to give them this option and have the choice remembered by a cookie?

Beter yet, have it be a part of the options in their user profile. If that’s even possible..

Thanks in advance!

54. Mrinal
    April 21, 2012 at 2:07 pm #

I am going to use this. Right now I am using Wizzart. I think it produces many SQL queries. Can you please tell me what this plugins status is about SQL queries?

Thanks. Your work is great.

55. Barry
    May 1, 2012 at 12:17 pm #

Is there an option or will there be to only display comments on a particular page i.e. the home page and not anywhere else?

Many thanks and great plugin ;)

Baz

56. omno
    June 9, 2012 at 3:20 pm #

awesome plugin..

i am newbies about scripting.. is there vertical scroll most read plugin? thanks…

57. Joelle
    June 12, 2012 at 9:30 pm #

This plugin is fabulous, but I’d love to see some of the requests mae here incorporated into the next version. :)

– gravatar support (as is built into WordPress) instead of just avatars

– the speed is really distracting. Can we slow it down?

– can we exclude author replies?

Thank you!

November 13, 2012 at 2:03 pm #

Hi Joelle,

No admin option to update the speed, but you can change the speed from the JS file. for this open the below JS file from the plugin folder. and go to line 34 and update the setTimeout.

vertical-scroll-recent-comments.js

setTimeout(“vsrc_scroll();”, 10);

58. balu
    August 14, 2012 at 5:20 am #

this plugin is very simple, people when they visit your website will always leave a comment behind. its a must plugin for WordPress blog.

59. Pedro Garcia
    August 18, 2012 at 3:48 pm #

Hi!

This plugin rocks!!! But I have an issue, when i see my website this plugin shows correctly in front page (index) but when i click to view any post, this plugin shows a message that says:
    undefined undefined undefined, can anyone help me to solve this issue???? im not a experienced wordpress user, can anybody help me???

60. afei
    August 26, 2012 at 5:33 am #

this is Stanley from China. i have problems when using this plugin. normally people don’t don;t say long comments n my blog and i have to change the height of this widget to 20,meanwhile, i shortne the comment character length to 35. But one Chinese word is equal to 2 character of english or numbers. According to my setup above,no problem to post coments in chinese and displays well on sidepanel. but if people write english or numbers… the comments always desplays to 2 lines in sidepanels and looks not good… pls can you update this plugin and make it workable internationally. Thank you very much,.

Yours Sincerely

Stanley

November 13, 2012 at 2:00 pm #

Hi afei,

I understand your problem. Because of the scroll, we need to maintain the equal height for all the scroll display. so that i added the character length option. we will try something in the next update.

61. afei
    August 26, 2012 at 5:36 am #

one more thing, can you pls add one more feature to this plugin. when the mouth is on the comments, it stops scooling? Thank you for your time reading my comments.

November 13, 2012 at 1:57 pm #

We will try this option in the next update.

62. afei
    August 26, 2012 at 5:36 am #

sorry, i mean MOUSE.. not mouth. LOL

63. Janis
    September 30, 2012 at 5:18 pm #

I guess javascript doesnt work on my site. All i get is the title and undefinedundefinedundefined.

64. PSO2 Luna
    November 23, 2012 at 12:30 am #

Awesome plugin! I’ve been looking everywhere for something like this. Now using it on my website^^ Keep up the good work!

65. Simson
    December 5, 2012 at 2:48 pm #

Hello..
    I use your plugin to my two websites. In first website, it works well. But, in the my another website, it doesn’t work. It stops. I don’t know why. I use the same configuration.
    Could you please help me?

66. Jude
    March 13, 2013 at 6:05 pm #

Nice plugin, I like it!

It works well except that all the text in the scroll bar is underlined and I can’t find a way to remove the underlining.

I see that a few others have mentioned the same thing. Is there a solution?

67. Nazreen
    June 3, 2013 at 7:18 am #

Hi there!

I recently switched to the Disqus comments system. I realised that the plugin is only displaying the old comments that were made using the wordpress jetpack system. How do I fix this?

68. Dhruv
    June 27, 2013 at 9:00 am #

It’s a nice plugin. Seems you have put a lots of efforts in making this plugin. But continuous scrolling makes it hard to read. Can’t you implement some thing so that as soon as the mouse cursor goes on the widget, it stops scrolling and as soon as mouse goes away from the widget, it starts scrolling. That will give a better user experience.

69. Murtaza
    July 16, 2013 at 1:32 pm #

Hi Gopi

Excellent plugin. However, I need to include the postname above the comment. Is there a way?

Regards