Message ticker

Want to announce something or want to post some message to your visitors? How will you do that? It’s a nice idea to show your announcement or message with scroller right?

This plug-in will display the announcement or message with simple scroller or ticker. It gradually reveals each message into view from left to right. We can add more message, this will display 1 by 1 with horizontal scroller.

• Easy to customize.
  • Support all browsers.
  • We can add message in any language.

Plugin live demo available on sidebar. You can find lots of scroller plugin in this website. if you want to scroll the text vertically use news announcement scroll WordPress plugin.

• Download the plugin message-ticker.zip from download location.
  • Unpack the *.zip file and extract the /message-ticker/ folder.
  • Drop the message-ticker folder into your ‘wp-content/plugins’ folder.
  • You should see your new message ticker plug-in listed under Inactive plug-in tab.

• Search message ticker plugin using search option.

• Download the plugin message-ticker.zip from download location.
  • Upload the available message-ticker.zip file and click install now

Drag and Drop the Widget : Go to widget page under Appearance tab, Drag and drop message ticker widget into your side bar.

Add directly in the theme :

Use the below code to add the message ticker to your theme files.

PHP code from the plugin version 1.0 to 7.0

<?php if (function_exists (mt_show)) mt_show(); ?>

PHP code from the plugin version 7.1 onwards

<?php mt_show_new($group = "GROUP1", $width = "300", $height = "150"); ?>

Add the message ticker in the posts or pages : Copy and paste the given short code into pages or posts.

Short code from the plugin version 1.0 to 5.0

[MESSAGE-TICKER:TYPE=PLUGIN]

Short code from the plugin version 6.0 to 7.0

[message-ticker type=”plugin”]

Short code from the plugin version 7.1 onwards

[message-ticker group=”group1″ width=”300″ height=”150″]

In the admin we have new option called Group, this is used to group the messages.

Q1. How to add the message to this plugin?

We have separate “Text management page” to add/update the messages.

Dashboard → Settings → Message ticker

Q2. How to arrange scroll speed?

1. Go to ‘message ticker’ link under setting menu.

2. Click ‘setting page’ link on message ticker page.

Q3. How to display announcement in front end?

Option 1. Go to widget menu and drag and drop the “message ticker” widget to your sidebar location.

Option 2. Copy and past the below mentioned code to your desired template location.
<?php if (function_exists (mt_show)) mt_show(); ?>

Q4. How to add the style to this ticker message?

In the text management page in the message text area we can add the HTML content.
Example : <div style=”background-color:#FF0″>Sample text</div>

Download link

Related plugins

89 Responses to“Message ticker”

1. Art Lee
    July 30, 2010 at 9:42 pm #

Is there a way to put multiple instances on a single install of wp?

2. Nick
    August 6, 2010 at 10:04 pm #

You’ve got some great plugin’s here that I’d like to use however I only want an EDITOR, not ADMIN, to edit the message (i.e. they don’t see the SETTINGS section).

Can any of the plugin’s (e.g. message ticker) be modified to allow an EDITOR to modify the message?

3. admin
    August 7, 2010 at 3:12 am #

Editor option not available, but you can past the HTML code in the given textarea.

4. bli
    August 20, 2010 at 8:56 pm #

how can I custom the font size and colour? thanks

August 21, 2010 at 8:04 am #

All CSS for this plug-in is depends in theme CSS.

• bli
        August 22, 2010 at 3:29 pm #

Thank you for your reply… I will try it… :)

• Mo
      August 24, 2010 at 6:44 am #

is it possible to change dirctions of the movment?
      i mean right to left for hebrew language?
      tanx

5. CMG
    August 21, 2010 at 6:47 am #

The height option does nothing for me, so the messages cut off if I use the widget in the sidebar. So I have to put this way down in the bottom sidebar where I have more room horizontally. Any idea on how I get get the height to adjust properly so I can use it in the sidebar at the top?

August 21, 2010 at 8:05 am #

U means u cant edit the height property or even u updated its not reflect in front end??

6. CMG
    August 21, 2010 at 1:51 pm #

it works now that is so weird…..

7. CMG
    August 21, 2010 at 2:08 pm #

This appears to be something on my front page that is messing up my message ticker plugin (top of sidebar). It works on every page except my front page, and all pages are using the same default sidebar. So something on the front page seems to possibly be messing it up. It works on every page except the home page. Example links below:

Does not work here:

Works here:

8. CMG
    August 21, 2010 at 9:21 pm #

it does not work on the front page, only on sub pages.

example…..

it does not work here:

but it does work here:

August 22, 2010 at 2:45 pm #

I saw the given link, its working in both sub page & front page.
      i used mozila firofox 3.6.8 to check the links.

9. CMG
    August 22, 2010 at 4:46 pm #

I moved it to the about page…. it is the feature boxes on the theme that is messing it up but I have no idea how to fix it

August 25, 2010 at 3:58 pm #

its working correctly, am checking this in Firefox 3.6.8

10. braaad
    August 31, 2010 at 5:07 pm #

Is there any way to add another language, i.e. bilingual content? It doesn’t look like I can use two instances of the plug-in, hmm. Any ideas?

September 10, 2010 at 4:45 pm #

Just add your content in any language. its ll display the same in front end.

• braaad
        September 10, 2010 at 4:49 pm #

Yeah, except in my case there’s an English and Spanish version of the site, so in reality two separate sets of messages, i.e. one in English one in Spanish, would be the right way to do it.

11. braaad
    September 6, 2010 at 10:03 pm #

Anyone?

12. Mark
    September 8, 2010 at 9:47 pm #

it would be great if the order could be random-ised. the order is fine, but if someone is only going to be on each page for 10 seconds, they’ll only ever see the same ticker information.

Is this something you’re working on developing?

13. Gilli
    September 12, 2010 at 2:49 pm #

Is the a way to place plugin in the content area – like under a photo for example? (rather then to place it under or over the content in the template code)

14. Marc-André
    October 7, 2010 at 11:59 am #

About customization of colour you say «All CSS for this plug-in is depends in theme CSS.» I searched this everywhere and didn’t find it. Would you please tell us the name of the file where it is? I am trying to change the backgroud colour…

October 7, 2010 at 12:06 pm #

Use html tag with message to create background-color, see the above demo, in that i have create demo with background-color option.

15. Marc-André
    October 7, 2010 at 3:04 pm #

Thank you very much!

16. Stein Ivar
    October 23, 2010 at 11:11 am #

On the admin area pressing Settings, a registered user at lowes level get access to Message ticker’s Setting Page.
    How can I disable this?

17. Blommi
    November 6, 2010 at 12:34 am #

Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for. Works perfectly :)

18. David
    November 12, 2010 at 3:08 pm #

I would like to change the font colour, but dont understand how to. Reply in simple terms would be appreciated. Thanks

19. Craig
    November 16, 2010 at 8:19 am #

This plugin is what I am looking for thanks.
    I have installed and set up the Message Ticker and it is showing as Done with error on IE and Safari.
    I am a novice at WordPress / php so would appreciate if you could advise what template and where (using the Atahualpa theme) I should insert the code:

20. Jaana
    December 16, 2010 at 3:35 am #

Would be great if only it worked on multilingual sites, but doesn’t seem to understand any language tags I’ve tried so far. As it is, it isn’t much use on sites that use more than one language, of which there are a quite a few around I shoudl say…

21. Lily
    December 16, 2010 at 10:50 pm #

Hi! Thanks for this plugin. I have a problem/question though. It is working fine in Firefox, but for me it’s not showing up in IE at all!

Is it something I did wrong, or is it also not working for others in IE9?

thanks!

• Duna
      February 3, 2011 at 10:36 am #

I think this is the most important question here…and nobody seems to have answered it…is anybody out there ?

22. Joachim Urlaub
    January 9, 2011 at 7:46 am #

There is a Problem, my User can chance the Width: and High and how fast. How can i stop this?

Regards Joachim Urlaub

23. Otello Gazzola
    January 19, 2011 at 9:49 am #

thanks for your plug-in. One question. Look the plug-in before header all pages how can I hide it from some pages?

Otello
    Milano – Italy

24. Duna
    February 3, 2011 at 10:37 am #

Can somebody please answer Lily’s question….

25. rldev
    February 9, 2011 at 4:30 pm #

Is it possible to use this widget in two different areas of a word press site? I want to use it on my WordPress homepage, but would also like to use it in my general sidebar for the rest of my pages. It seems like I can only do one or the other. Any insight would be helpful. Great widget by the way!

26. rldev
    February 10, 2011 at 1:33 am #

Gopi hasn’t been on here in months. I take it the project is dead? Anyone hear from him?

27. falgek
    February 10, 2011 at 11:19 am #

Nice plugin,
    i just setup this plugin, and it is running well in my site : http://www.falgent.web.id
    thanks Gopi

28. Riki
    February 16, 2011 at 6:30 pm #

Hi, and thanx for this plugin ! “But” I would like to know if it’ll possible to put hyperlink into messages ?…

Riki.

29. Matt
    February 20, 2011 at 5:37 am #

The message box operates like any HTML code. Changing the font color, text size, adding hyperlinks, etc work perfectly.

30. Qdogg
    February 27, 2011 at 8:20 pm #

If you are having trouble running in IE, here is how I fixed this problem.

You have to declare the variable mt_begin in the message-ticker.js file.

Add this line under the two other variables at the top.

var mt_begin=0

check it out on http://www.cruizefm.co.nz

Tested in IE8, Firefox (Mac, PC), Safari

• Joe
      March 6, 2013 at 10:48 pm #

Thank you Qdogg, that fixed my Internet Explorer issue…..

31. Christian
    February 28, 2011 at 8:19 pm #

I need a random function. Is it possible?

Best
    Christian

32. Marino
    March 4, 2011 at 5:10 pm #

Nice plugin!
    Would be nice though if there was an option to randomize the displayed messages

33. Steve
    March 10, 2011 at 2:43 pm #

Can this plug-in run in the main part of a page, rather than a sidebar?

I can’t seem to get it to work…

34. Marino
    March 15, 2011 at 6:46 pm #

I have a solution to randomize the first message:

Edit the file MESSAGE-TICKER.JS
    put the line
    “mt_current=Math.floor(Math.random()*(mt_contents.length))”

directly after function mt_start(), so it looks like this:

function mt_start(){
    mt_current=Math.floor(Math.random()*(mt_contents.length))

Now it starts at a random message# each time you refresh a page.

35. Sean James Cameron
    March 18, 2011 at 2:52 pm #

How do you change the colour of the text? I would like white.

36. Sean James Cameron
    March 18, 2011 at 2:58 pm #

Found it!
    To change the colour to white enter this below, to change the colour of the text just add a new number after #

37. mati kala
    April 10, 2011 at 6:58 am #

where i must paste this code Copy and past the below mentioned code to your desired template location (file.php)

1.random-image-gallery-with-fancy-zoom/crop-random-image.php
    2.random-image-gallery-with-fancy-zoom/random-image-gallery-with-fancy-zoom.php
    3.random-image-gallery-with-fancy-zoom/rigwfz_js/FancyZoom.js
    4.random-image-gallery-with-fancy-zoom/rigwfz_js/FancyZoomHTML.js
    5.random-image-gallery-with-fancy-zoom/select-random-image.php

April 10, 2011 at 8:46 am #

You have to paste the code into your theme files…

38. Reme
    April 21, 2011 at 5:19 pm #

Thank you for the widget. It’s a great tool, works prefect, and looks great on our sidebar. Thanks, Reme

39. Reme
    April 27, 2011 at 8:07 pm #

SEO Question: Will Google pick up text in the box and key off it for search results?

40. MAJOR B
    May 5, 2011 at 3:52 pm #

Where do I put the code to get marquee to appear in sidebar?

May 6, 2011 at 1:18 am #

u have text management page in the dashboard .

41. Graphicedit
    May 10, 2011 at 3:32 pm #

Can this plug-in run in the multisite Wp settings?

42. MickW
    May 18, 2011 at 1:19 pm #

Great plugin, thanks
    However, if I want to add a new message every day and I want it to be first, do I have to reorder everything below it, because if I ask it to be ordered as 1, it goes after the previous 1.

• Leilson
      February 8, 2012 at 12:55 am #

very nice pgluin. in better than commentluv i guess.so much info on the commenter.I like it!!Ronald

• xfvcrol
      February 8, 2012 at 5:24 pm #

Qjx4P4 dptfqqnhdxbs

43. Mike
    May 19, 2011 at 8:57 am #

you wrote: ll CSS for this plug-in is depends in theme CSS.

Problem: I cannot find a css file, so where I can change colors and text style??

44. Andres
    May 21, 2011 at 8:30 am #

The CSS works better in all browsers when you add span#mt_spancontant{display:block;} in your css file.

Thanks for the plugin!

45. Pooja Mittal
    June 10, 2011 at 3:52 pm #

Hi there, I have installed this plugin, saved the settings and added the widget to my sidebar. But only the title heading of the widget seems to appear on the webpage widget location. No other messages come up. Does this have anything to do with the widget height / width at all? I cannot seem to figure out why the heading shows but not the messages. Thanks!

46. Ayrthon
    July 8, 2011 at 12:45 pm #

Hi! Great Plugin!

It would be awesome if you could add the feature to PAUSE the ticker when Mouse hovers the area…!

Does anyone knows how?

• Ayrthon
      July 8, 2011 at 1:12 pm #

Nevermind i’ll just use the Announcement Plugin!! Great JOB! i’m donating!!

July 8, 2011 at 1:24 pm #

Pls share the HTML version of that requirement. i will make the plugin and share to u..

47. FanaticWeb
    July 14, 2011 at 3:43 pm #

To everyone asking about the CSS and changing the look and feel of the ticker, when they say: All CSS for this plug-in is depends in theme CSS, it means: There is NO CSS file, so whatever your theme has, the ticker will grab and depend on it.
    If you want to customize the ticker, try the following:
    Open the file: message-ticker.php
    Edit the following div on line 55:

<span id="mt_spancontant" style="position:absolute;”>

You can play around with the div as you wish, this will get pushed throughout the theme, obviously you can add your HTML code on a “per message basis”.

Now, question for the Author: Using the shortcode, is there a way to pull ONE message in particular out of the let’s say 5 messages active in the ticker?

48. FanaticWeb
    July 14, 2011 at 3:45 pm #

Sorry the code pasting didnt work properly in my previous message, bottom line, its on that line that you can customize your ticker’s alignment and width and padding or background.

49. Raman
    October 9, 2011 at 11:59 pm #

How do i intend the ticker to start above the college logo
    I want the ticker to start infront of the logo and scroll end before the last item on menu navigation.

i.e. basically running ;centered; in the page

50. sankho
    October 25, 2011 at 12:48 am #

Excellent job Gopi!!

BTW the title “Annoucement” seems missing, I put the php code underneath the slider. does anybody has this problem? any help……..

51. Raman
    October 29, 2011 at 5:05 pm #

how can i indent the ticker text from left and right. i.e. define width in which the ticker will run/show

52. picmax
    December 9, 2011 at 1:16 am #

Is there a way to have two news tickers? I have two side bars: one in main index page and another one in posts. It seems I can only have one?

53. Bobby
    December 31, 2011 at 6:28 pm #

OK….I added to my sidebar/widget area…How do I edit the content? (Neither links allow me to change news)

54. John
    January 3, 2012 at 10:02 pm #

[MESSAGE-TICKER:TYPE=PLUGIN]

I’m trying to embed this into a single page – does not work

• L
      April 22, 2013 at 3:30 am #

Try this:

[message-ticker type=”plugin”]

55. SUJAN Biswas
    February 24, 2012 at 4:57 pm #

How can I add the message ticker on the top. I need no banner. so I want to add the ticker on the place of banner not on left or right sidebar. Please answer quickly. Thanks.

56. Dustin
    February 26, 2012 at 7:08 pm #

I like this feature but I would like the ability to do a quick add from my dashboard instead of having to do everything from my utilities section. thanks

57. Mary-Anne
    March 4, 2012 at 9:52 pm #

Thanks for all your work Gopi, I have success installation of ticker on network (wp3) with 13 subsites. Am now finalising another network of 19 subsites. Ticker has installed on all, but five are showing undefined.
    The error “No data available! use below form to create!”appears on the top of Text Management page – the new message will not save?
    Thanks for your assistance on this,
    Mary-Anne

58. Jordan
    March 15, 2012 at 2:13 am #

In wich code should i add to change the font size ????

59. Talbot
    May 14, 2012 at 9:33 am #

How and where do I change the background colour of the slide show?
    Talbot.

60. SMART
    May 20, 2012 at 10:44 pm #

wondering how to format the ticker so that is stands out more? Would like to make the background a different color so that it is more defined

61. YeMeNi AnA
    June 20, 2012 at 9:48 pm #

how can i run text direction from right to left

62. Motorposten
    September 9, 2012 at 4:35 pm #

Any chance you can include start and kill date on a ticker in a future release?

63. Zia Khan
    October 1, 2012 at 6:28 pm #

when i enable to plugin its removing all the formatting. how can i make it to show my formatting.
    also I only want to show post text/html nothing else.

right now I want to simply show post text section nothing else. and if there is image in there then simply show image and text nothing else.

please help.

64. jairaj
    October 12, 2012 at 9:17 am #

i have added messages to it.But none of them is visible.
    just a plain white box is coming.

65. michael
    November 10, 2012 at 6:15 am #

Hi, what is the short code i enter to insert in post?

66. Scott
    November 11, 2012 at 7:37 am #

This plugin is working great on my live auction page. Is there anyway to get the new comments to auto load instead of waiting on a refresh of the page. We run a auction house and have live auctions on a regular basis. We are looking for a way to have messages posted to the viewers throughout the show as needed. This meets that requirement other than the loading portion. Our users won’t refresh the page, nor do I want them to.

Thanks for the plugin and any help that you can provide.

67. Joe
    December 27, 2012 at 11:25 pm #

I updated my plug in and now it dose not work. The short code [MESSAGE-TICKER:TYPE=PLUGIN] is showing on the page. Please Help it was working until i updated the plugin

68. Muhanned
    January 28, 2013 at 6:56 am #

Thank you so much for message ticker option i need your help to get it contrary (from right to left ) with frame if you can.

Greetings to you

69. Susan
    May 1, 2013 at 6:44 pm #

I can’t seem to get the hyperlinks to work in the message ticker…any idea what I am doing wrong?

70. Eyal
    May 23, 2013 at 3:53 pm #

Can it reveal the message from right to left ?

71. Gopi Ramasamy
    August 3, 2013 at 3:21 pm #

Plugin version 7.1

After plugin upgrade, Please Deactivate and Activate the plugin once.

1. Added few security features.
    2. New admin layout.
    3. Slight change in the short code, Please find the new short code in the post.