Vertical scroll image slideshow gallery

Vertical scroll image slideshow gallery plugin lets you showcase images in a vertical scroll style in the WordPress widget. Single image at a time and push one by one continually. The speed of the image movement is customizable (Slide timeout). And this plugin retrieve images directly from the specified folder. The file names are returned in the order in which they are stored by the file system. So the order of the image display is based on the file uploaded date.

1. Simple to use.
  2. Easy installation and customization.

Live demo available on sidebar. All images are hyper-linked to single url. images are displaying directly from the folder. do you want the same type of scroll and each image hyper-linked with different url? Use Vertical scroll slideshow gallery v2 wordpress plugin.

Q1. I installed the plugin but can’t see it. What’s wrong?

Make sure the directory name is entered correctly on the settings page.

Q2. Where to upload my image?

wp-content/plugins/vertical-scroll-image-slideshow-gallery/VSslideshow/
Also you can change the location via widget configuration. (Best practice is don’t upload your original image into this default folder instead you change this default path to original path)

Q3. How to upload my image?

After activated the plugin in default it will fetch image from the below location.
wp-content/plugins/vertical-scroll-image-slideshow-gallery/VSslideshow/
You have to change this folder location to your original location. (Best practice is don’t upload your original image into this default folder instead you change this default path to original path)

Q4. Widget title appears but no photos appear below it?

Make sure the directory name is entered correctly on the settings page. this is the default photo location wp-content/plugins/vertical-scroll-image-slideshow-gallery/VSslideshow/

Q5. Why my image gallery out of range?

In front end widget area, if you see gallery out of area or invisible, it because of height and width of the widget, so you should arrange width and height of the widget in widget configuration area. In default I have fixed width: 200px and height: 155px.

Q6. Why my slideshow not scroll properly or why one image overlaps another at the time of scroll?

Set the scrollerwidth and scrollerheight to the width/height of the LARGEST image in your slideshow!

Plugin installation instruction

• Download the plugin vertical-scroll-image-slideshow-gallery.zip from download location.
  • Unpack the vertical-scroll-image-slideshow-gallery.zip file
  • Extract the /vertical-scroll-image-slideshow-gallery/ folder.
  • Drop the vertical-scroll-image-slideshow-gallery folder into your ‘wp-content/plugins’ folder.
  • You should see your new vertical scroll image slideshow gallery plug-in listed.

• Search vertical scroll image slideshow gallery plugin using search option.

• Go to ‘add new’ menu under ‘plugins’ tab in your word press admin.
  • Upload the available vertical-scroll-image-slideshow-gallery.zip file and click install now.

Drag and drop the widget: Go to widget page under appearance tab, Drag and drop VS slideshow widget into your side bar. It’s very easy.

Add directly in the theme: Use this code, <?php if (function_exists (VSslideshow_slideshow)) VSslideshow_slideshow(); ?> to add the gallery to your theme files.

Other slideshow plugin

75 Responses to“Vertical scroll image slideshow gallery”

1. Karen Bennett
    August 2, 2010 at 1:03 am #

Thanks for this plugin. It’s pretty easy to use. I tried using .png files at first and it didn’t work, but it did work when I used .jpg instead. Does it only work with .jpg? If so, that might be worth mentioning in the FAQ or readme.

• Radek
      January 21, 2012 at 10:24 am #

Just change text strpos($gSlidefile, ‘.gif’) to strpos($gSlidefile, ‘.png’) in vertical-scroll-image-slideshow-gallery.php and they will use png . Much more useful then gif .

• osejp
        May 30, 2012 at 1:35 pm #

Sorry! I also mistake it! I do it. but it’sn’t complete!! Any thing idea!

2. Steven
    August 12, 2010 at 9:24 pm #

Hi thanks for the plugin. It’s great.
    I was just wondering how I could get the pictures a bit bigger. I don’t seem to find where to change the format.

3. Jan
    August 13, 2010 at 12:50 am #

This was exactly what I was looking for but my images are not appearing.
    I uploaded the images to the folder, I made sure the permissions were normal, but it still doesn’t work. I just see the slideshow title. and a thin bar.

• Debbie Stevens
      January 24, 2011 at 4:27 am #

Have managed to get everything uploaded etc, used the folder mentioned, but still seeing collection of Michale Jackson photo’s? lol

4. faouzi
    August 26, 2010 at 7:57 pm #

Iam using the plg in it’S great but can you say me how to give diffirent links to each image, so image one link one image two link two

• Nikola
      September 21, 2010 at 10:29 am #

yes, this would be a great option, it should be possible to choose between same link for all pictures and individual links, otherwise it is nice and simple plug-in and it works nicely

• Amanda
        October 17, 2010 at 6:21 pm #

I also need there to be individual links for each image, it’s too bad that they all link to the same link. Let us know if it can be updated.

May 18, 2013 at 6:19 am #

Hi Amanda,

Please find my another plugin “Image vertical reel scroll slideshow” for this option.

• Ken Philips
      April 2, 2011 at 2:53 pm #

Fantastic… have been banging my head against the wall to find something like this to help “jazz up” our website. Thx

5. Harald
    September 3, 2010 at 10:09 am #

Nice plugin, but there is a scrolling horizontal white line, not aligned correctly between every image. I have set the view to 260 x 260 and every image is also 260 x 260 so there shouldn’t be any alignment problems. I guess this white line is a marker to give some white space between every images but it is not working!

6. Luis
    September 4, 2010 at 4:40 am #

The plugin was working fine, but then I decided to change the index of my page to the root instead of the /wordpress like it was. Everything works but the plugin.

I’ve tried uninstalling and reintalling the plugin and but all I get insted of pictures is a message that says “UNDEFINED”

One more thing… I changed the index back to the original wordpress directory and from there it runs nice.

The problem is when I want my index in the root.

Can you please give me some advise?

September 4, 2010 at 5:05 am #

Just check image URL in the XML file, or go to php file and make all images into FULL path.

• fgpx78
        November 1, 2010 at 3:53 pm #

Mmmm…but where do I find the XML? I’m having the same problem here…

7. Ankit
    September 13, 2010 at 10:19 pm #

Superb! Great Work! Simple and efficient!

8. Rebecca
    September 29, 2010 at 3:27 am #

I installed the plug in & it works great. The only problem I am having is it only scrolls 5 of the 10 pictures that I uploaded to the gallery. Is there a way to adjust the number of images that will show in the scroll?

9. Martin
    October 5, 2010 at 1:26 pm #

Thanks, exactly what I was looking for.
    Is there an easy way to adjust the speed?
    I set the delay on 0 to enable continues scrolling, but I want to lower the speed.
    Regards!

10. Ned
    October 21, 2010 at 4:24 pm #

Wonderful; I have been using it for a while.

However, it tends to start the slideshow on some image it chooses, and not the one I want!
    It does not seem to go by the file name nor date. Not for the starting image, that is. It follows the order based on file name, but it picks up the order somewhere in the middle.

I have named the files “slideshow_01.jpg” and so forth. I recently tried changing to letters, eg “slideshow_A.jpg” but it still doesn’t start at the first one in the order.

I have 15 images as of now.

Please advise!

n

11. Raven
    October 26, 2010 at 9:17 pm #

This plugin works perfectly and is easy to install and get moving. Thanks! Finally a time-saver.

12. Chad
    October 30, 2010 at 7:50 pm #

I have the slideshow downloaded and showing in my sidebar, however I can’t figure out how to download the images to the default folder. I’m sure it’s simple, what am I missing.

13. Joey
    November 12, 2010 at 8:07 pm #

I installed it and it works as long as I keep the default Jackson images. When I change the image directory to point to my images on my C:\ DRIVE I get a message “UNDEFINED.” Help.

May 18, 2013 at 6:20 am #

Hi Joey,

Please check the image folder location.

14. Auckland
    November 17, 2010 at 3:19 am #

whoa, that picture of MJ is creepy

15. jam
    December 9, 2010 at 4:26 pm #

thanks ! i have tested and will install in http://giaothuongtructuyen.com and hope the slideshow will appear nice ! thanks again !

16. temi
    December 30, 2010 at 3:18 pm #

Followed your instructions to the letter and yet keep getting Michael Jackson!!
    Pls help.
    Is there a way to upload specific images to the folder you prescribed without changeing all the url of my other images too?

17. RonCZ
    January 10, 2011 at 8:13 pm #

I’m having this same undefined problem, you suggested to, “Just check image URL in the XML file, or go to php file and make all images into FULL path” but I too am not sure where the XML file is.

Seems is does not have the full path to the image wish there was an easy fix.

• Wilson
      December 29, 2012 at 9:48 am #

Elizabeth Zoppa – All I can say is WOW! The photos and baby girl are beuufital. (Could you let me know where I can get creamy b/w actions?)Liz

18. Srog
    January 18, 2011 at 3:48 am #

This is exactly what I was looking for. I am at a school that restricts writing to certain folders so the gallery plug-ins are not working for me. Simple and easy to use. Thanks!

19. Debbie Stevens
    January 24, 2011 at 9:50 am #

Where is the ‘php’ file?? I think I have only made matters worse…MJ is now gone!

20. cangrejero
    February 14, 2011 at 2:30 am #

A funny thing is happening after installing this plugin. My site “accesorioscelularpr.com” has a menu developed following the tutorial at “http://anthologyoi.com/wordpress/displaying-wordpress-categories-in-a-horizontal-dropdown-menu.html”. The child menus work OK until I install the widget in a sidebar. With the widget installed, the child menus are not displayed. Any thoughts. Thanks!

21. justin
    March 17, 2011 at 6:26 am #

just wanted to give you a heads up that when this plugin is activated, it immediately throws an error on our site and takes the entire site down. just wondering if maybe you were working on a fix for that and if an upgrade was coming up. thanks.

• Idana
      July 23, 2011 at 1:34 pm #

The purchases I make are entirely based on these atricels.

22. Becky
    March 22, 2011 at 2:06 pm #

Where do I load the pictures too?

23. Brennig
    March 22, 2011 at 4:56 pm #

Very neat, good functionality, easy to understand how to make changes and simple to operate. Thank you very much for doing this.

x

24. Melisa Waaga
    April 3, 2011 at 1:25 am #

Hello, Neat post. There’s an issue together with your web site in web explorer, may test this¡K IE still is the marketplace leader and a good section of other folks will miss your magnificent writing because of this problem.

May 25, 2011 at 3:46 pm #

New version 4.0 available now

26. Jon Ewell
    June 14, 2011 at 5:45 pm #

Your plug-in works great but I noticed I can only use one instance of it. I added it to one widget but when I return to the widget panel to add another slideshow to a different sidebar it is not available.

Is it possible to use more than one slideshow on a site?

27. Uma Sumeros
    August 7, 2011 at 6:58 am #

Hello:

Thank you for your work on this plugin. I am using .jpg images, all the same size, but the keep breaking.

What is the solution this problem?

August 7, 2011 at 7:02 am #

Try to add the images without any space(image name with no space)…..

28. marco
    August 8, 2011 at 7:29 pm #

il codice corretto e questo

29. joakim
    August 21, 2011 at 9:12 pm #

HI keep getin the text undifined om all my pics what am i doing wrong then

30. Tony
    September 5, 2011 at 6:01 pm #

Can someone give me an example of exactly what the directory address should be? I have tried everything I can think of but all I see are the words Slide Show, no pics at all.

September 6, 2011 at 1:03 am #

use as per example…

• Tony
        September 6, 2011 at 7:45 am #

Thanks for replying Admin

I have done exactly what Gobi suggests but it makes no difference. Is the url different if I’m hosting my own WP? I tried various options such as a direct url http://www.mysite.com/images/slideshow/, still no luck.
        do you know exactly where the XML file is located?

31. anwar
    September 7, 2011 at 1:19 pm #

Hi tony

copy the url from media where u upload ur images to the image settings of horizontal plugin..u will get the images display..

32. MRod
    September 13, 2011 at 7:14 pm #

I’m using the slider for vertical jpgs of advertisements, notices, etc. How do I customize the size of the window to accomodate individual vertical-shaped images?

33. donna
    September 14, 2011 at 8:58 am #

i’m wanting to set the height of my slideshow to that of my sidebar, so that about 5 images will be visible at a time. is there a way to do this? It seems the settings only allow for one image to visible at a time..

34. Mario
    October 16, 2011 at 10:27 am #

Hello!
    I don’t understand what ‘Images link’ means*?
    Slide works vut I can’t get images to appeare, only saying ‘undefined’ where picture frames are.
    Please explain…
    thx

35. Josh
    November 21, 2011 at 5:55 pm #

When I do an automatic upgrade, my photos are deleted and replaced with michael jackson photos. can you fix this from happening? its a pain to upgrade then delete the mj photos and then reupload.

November 22, 2011 at 4:28 am #

When u update the plugin. the folder also get updated.. pls read the FAQ 3, 4.

36. karnasia
    December 4, 2011 at 5:51 am #

37. Jack
    January 5, 2012 at 2:17 pm #

How can this be used on a normal html/php site?

38. Özgür
    April 9, 2012 at 7:36 am #

lol who removed my comment ?

39. ian
    April 12, 2012 at 12:13 am #

hi, how can i control the margin of the images on the widget?
    Great plugin

40. Leah
    April 30, 2012 at 7:35 pm #

Any way to center the pictures instead of left-align?

41. Tim
    May 2, 2012 at 10:57 pm #

After 2-3 weeks of working fine, all of a sudden my vertical slider just stopped moving and is stuck on the same picture. I haven’t changed anything….that I know of…that would have affected this.

Any ideas?

November 13, 2012 at 12:47 pm #

Please try again with latest plugin version.

42. Marc
    May 9, 2012 at 1:04 pm #

Great plugin, i’ve yet to find something similar, yet as simple.

Is there a way to show more than one picture at once? 3 or 4 for example?

November 13, 2012 at 12:38 pm #

Hi Marc,

Please find my other plugin “Image vertical reel scroll slideshow” to display more image at same time.

43. Rose
    June 7, 2012 at 9:33 am #

it is really good but if it has a navigation button to change the pics manually then it looks great

44. Pascal
    October 18, 2012 at 8:21 am #

Already thank you for this plugin haughtiness, however I shall like I can allow the visitor to click an image and to dismiss them by means of parameter “images link:” but I obtains this :
    “Forbidden
    You don’t have permission to access /wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/ on this server.
    Apache/2.2.3 (CentOS) Server at nicehill-soundstudio.ch Port 80″

Thank you for your help and suggestion.

November 13, 2012 at 12:32 pm #

Hi Pascal,

Please share more details, am not able to understand.

45. Eric Van Tuerenhout
    November 12, 2012 at 3:59 pm #

Hi… I’m trying to install VS Slideshow.
    I get a scrolling text “undefined”.

I already tried to resize, no effect.
    The theme I’m using is a Genesis theme.

Thank you for your help !
    Kind regards, Eric

November 13, 2012 at 12:31 pm #

Hi Eric, Please check your folder location. also try with updated plugin version.

46. iris
    February 6, 2013 at 9:50 am #

Is there a way i can put it in my post and not at the side?
    I really like to have it like this: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/32991171/mfpsite/FineArtGallery/index.html
    Can you give me some help on this one?
    Kind regards, Iris

47. Hey clear your comments,,there over 3 years old
    February 11, 2013 at 5:30 am #

Your instructions dont make sense and they are not clear… What does this mean Best Practice..

Best practice : Dont upload your original images into this default folder instead you change this default path to original path. Otherwise you may lose the images when you update the plugin to next version.

Why dont you show an example..

What does this mean!
    Image directory:(Upload all your images in this directory)
    wp-content/plugins/vertical-scroll-image-slideshow-gallery/VSslideshow/
    Default: wp-content/plugins/vertical-scroll-image-slideshow-gallery/VSslideshow/

what the hell is the difference…. Dingus

48. Rosario
    April 25, 2013 at 11:44 pm #

Hello, i feel that i noticed you visited my website thus i got here
    to return the desire?.I’m trying to find issues to enhance my site!I assume its ok to use some of your ideas!!

49. unusual
    April 26, 2013 at 6:40 pm #

Every weekend i used to visit this website, as i want
    enjoyment, since this this site conations actually pleasant
    funny information too.

50. back pain specialist Brinson
    May 3, 2013 at 6:04 am #

back pain doctor Brownsboro

51. http://najina-smer.si/2012/12/prvi-teden-huda-zima-osem-tednov-ne-odkima
    May 8, 2013 at 3:49 pm #

Thanks to my father who stated to me regarding this
    web site, this webpage is really awesome.

52. Raghu
    June 24, 2013 at 8:22 am #

Is there any short code for Vertical scroll image slideshow gallery plugin to use directly in pages or posts.

June 24, 2013 at 8:25 am #

Hi Raghu, Please check vertical reel scroll plugin from the plugin list.

53. Raghu
    June 24, 2013 at 9:33 am #

k i got, thanks Gopi.
    great plugins for wordpress…….

54. training camp
    June 28, 2013 at 5:33 pm #

An interesting discussion is worth comment. I believe that you should publish more on this issue, it may
    not be a taboo subject but generally people
    don’t speak about such subjects. To the next! Best wishes!!