Send link to friend

Send link to friend WordPress plug-in will create a simple form in the website to send the URL. If the user thought the content is useful to their friend, they can use this form to send the URL instead of copy and paste the URL into email. This form have the option to enter the email address and small description text box. the URL of the page automatically added into the email. also we have captcha option in the form to protect the spam mails. there are three ways to implement the form into the website.

Feature of the plug-in

• Simple to use.
  • Admin can choose which page this plug-in should display.
  • Easy style-override.
  • Ajax, so no page refresh.
  • Captcha to avoid spam.

See live demo on sidebar; If you think this page is useful to your friend, use Send link to friend sidebar form to share this page to your friend.

• Download the plugin Send-link-to-friend.zip from download location.
  • Unpack the Send-link-to-friend.zip file
  • Extract the /Send-link-to-friend/ folder.
  • Drop the plugin folder into your wp-content/plugins folder.
  • You should see your new send link to friend plug-in listed.

• Go to Add New menu under Plugins tab in your word-press admin.
  • Search Send link to friend plugin using search option.
  • Find the plugin and click Install Now link.

• Download the plugin Send-link-to-friend.zip from download location.
  • Go to Add New menu under Plugins tab in your word press admin.
  • Upload the available Send-link-to-friend.zip file and click Install Now.

If any problem in the Captcha, use version 2.0 (version 2.0 is captcha free version)

Version 8.0

Tested up to 3.4
JavaScript loaded by using the wp_enqueue_scripts hook (instead of the init hook)
Slight change in the short code, Please find the new short code for your gallery

Version 6.0

Short code available to add the form into pages/posts.

Version 5.0

FROM NAME field included in the admin setting.

Version 3.0

Captcha/Security code.

To change the Captcha color scheme.

1. Take captcha.php file.
2. Go to line 26,27,28 to change the Captcha color scheme.

Drag and Drop the Widget : Go to widget page under Appearance tab, Drag and drop Send link to friend widget into your side bar.

Add directly in the theme : Use this code, <?php if (function_exists (gSendtofriend)) gSendtofriend(); ?> to add the widget to your theme files.

Short code for pages and posts: use the given short code in your posts and pages.
Short code: [send-link-to-friend]

Q1. What is Display Option?

We can set the plug in display based on page type..

Q2. Where to set the from name and from email?

Administration → Settings → Send link to friend

Q3. How to change the captcha color?

1. Take captcha.php file.
2. Go to line 26,27,28 to change the Captcha color scheme.

Other related plugin

69 Responses to“Send link to friend”

1. Bogdan P
    July 31, 2010 at 9:31 pm #

Hi! Great plugin man! Awesome work
    Some sugestions:
    1. add a setting page when you can easily edit the CSS for the form.
    2. add “your name” and “your email” to form.
    3. add a setting page when you can edit the template of the mail that is sent.

Cheers!

2. Nealis P
    August 5, 2010 at 6:00 pm #

I have your plugin installed in the sidebar on my blog links and it does not work. Can you have a look and respond with ideas on a fix. Thank you very much Pat

August 6, 2010 at 4:11 pm #

hi, check the spam folder & mail function within the plug-in file

3. patrick
    August 8, 2010 at 12:02 am #

Hi I like your plugin and have only one question. The mail come to the user as from: WOrdpress. How can that be set to a different value?

4. America Wants to Work
    August 12, 2010 at 1:34 am #

Very nice plug in and works well. Well done. My question is same as Patrick above. Email is From: WordPress. How to change to read it comes from us not WordPress?

thank you.

August 12, 2010 at 4:03 am #

i think it will take email id from your general setting page, i will check the code and let u know.

• American Wants to Work
        August 14, 2010 at 8:08 pm #

Yes, it does pick up the email address from General Settings but the email one receives reads FROM: WORDPRESS. It would be much preferred to be able to put our name there and not WORDPRESS.

It’s still a great plugin but it needs to read from who it was sent from.

Thanks again for your responds. Good support for plugins is often rare and your support is appreciated. The plugin is working very well. I would definitely recommend your plugins to others.

• Zbysek Nadenik
          August 29, 2010 at 11:56 am #

I would also appreciated help how to change the default text from: WORDPRESS.

Your plugin is great anyway, thanks a lot.

October 2, 2010 at 1:52 pm #

Email address from name problem has been solved on version 5.0

5. admin
    August 15, 2010 at 5:54 am #

Thanks for your feedback, i will try to change the FROM email address in the plug-in next version.

6. Philip
    August 20, 2010 at 4:13 am #

installed and it does not show up.
    have used on other sites in the past where it does work – see http://www.philipespinosa.com
    thoughts?
    philip

August 22, 2010 at 3:06 pm #

i saw your website, its working fine, can you explain your problems.

7. Anita
    August 27, 2010 at 4:52 am #

Hi there

It doesn’t work on my site either.

On testing, the form won’t submit as it keeps saying that the Captcha Code is wrong (when it isn’t).

Any help would be appreciated.

8. Elisa
    September 15, 2010 at 10:22 pm #

Hi, I’ve just installed this plugin but the captcha image is not showing… Also I would like to get in touch with you so we can discuss about making some multilanguage customizations to it ASAP…. thanks

9. Its Retro.org
    September 16, 2010 at 10:23 pm #

I have this installed and it works great. However, as with others, it needs to come from someone other than “WordPress”. Also, for some reason, in the mails that get sent, the links are not clickable.

Any ideas?

Andy

10. Lee
    September 27, 2010 at 4:54 pm #

Did you manage to fix the issues with the ‘FROM:Wordpress’ bug?

I’ve tried to fix this but without much look.

September 29, 2010 at 5:05 pm #

Hi friends, i have found that FROM name & EMAIL problem, i will correct and update the plug-in very soooooooooooon…

12. Ian
    October 2, 2010 at 7:56 am #

Coptcha keeps coming up invalid, version 2 works fine but when upgrading to version4 for added security emails wont send?

October 2, 2010 at 10:06 am #

From name problem has been solved on the version 5.0

14. tom keefe
    November 15, 2010 at 9:50 pm #

A newbie, not sure why captcha box is at bottom of page but not in the “enter the code”. Where would I paste code?

Note: set to Posts only.

15. Shae
    November 17, 2010 at 1:24 am #

I just installed this plugin. Looks great, seems to work great, but the test emails are never recieved.
    Instead, in my admin email account for the website, I get an email that says: A message that you sent was rejected by the local scanning code that checks incoming messages on this system. The following error was given: “Relaying not permitted”
    I checked my admin panel and there is no where I can change any email relaying settings. Is there a way I can fix this?

16. Pat Flynn
    December 19, 2010 at 12:45 pm #

Installed v.5 Send Link to Friend. Any more details on getting working. Keeps asking me for a security code in box at bottom. A short little tuctorial might be of benefit to explain these aspects. The plugin description seems to dovetail with what I want to achieve and no doubt would be great to get it working.

Have a good Xmas.

17. Mike Moore
    December 23, 2010 at 9:42 am #

Hello, plugin work great HOWEVER… how can the link in the email received be CLICKABLE? Or possible html format?

18. Arthur
    December 27, 2010 at 2:38 pm #

I found your plugin, but like to use it on a page, instaed as a widget. Is there a shortcode which I can copy the wordpress html-editor, so that I can add the page as a manu-item?

Arthur

19. keshav
    January 24, 2011 at 3:34 am #

How to send these mails via SMTP??

20. Bertrand Gallot
    January 29, 2011 at 11:10 am #

Fine plugin.
    As told in previous replies, will be a good idea to add name en email of sender !
    I give a solution for those having error message : “Warning: imagettfbbox() [function.imagettfbbox]: Could not find/open font”.
    Depending of server type and after a long research, simply modify in captcha.php line 6 :
    var $font = ‘monofont.ttf’; to
    var $font = ‘./monofont.ttf’;
    Works on windows and linux !

21. Thomas
    February 4, 2011 at 12:42 pm #

Thanks a lot for the nice an easy to use “Send link to friend” Plugin. Unfortunately it is not yet prepared for translation. Do you mind to add this soon?

Thomas

22. maria
    February 4, 2011 at 8:09 pm #

is there a way this plugin could send an “image” to a user? it would be a set image… we want our users to be able to fill out a form, and send a paticular .jpg file to whoever they want. so the .jpg file would be the same for anyone who wants to use this feature on our site. in other words the user would not choose the image. we would want that image hard coded. don’t know if i am making sense or not…

23. larkje
    February 9, 2011 at 1:46 pm #

I still have problems with the Captcha. Upgraded to latest version, tried to change the font according to B. Gallot comment, but no picture of the security code are showing.
    Also, the mail sender “WordPress” are still a problem, have anyone figured out how to change this…?
    larkje

24. larkje
    February 13, 2011 at 12:20 pm #

I finally figured this out.., the problem with Captca not displaying: you need to type this correctly at line 6 in Captcha.php

var $font = ‘./monofont.ttf’;

But, I do not want Captha in my form – how can I remove it ??

25. jobsnepal
    February 24, 2011 at 6:37 am #

really rocking

26. elasticray
    February 28, 2011 at 3:26 pm #

Should have a version that allows you to choose with or without captcha….I understand you can download 2.0…but then you dont get to change the person who sent it to you feature.

27. Hugh
    March 7, 2011 at 7:37 pm #

I have a message every time I try to send the link:
    Invalid code….pls help me

28. ed
    March 28, 2011 at 5:10 am #

Great work!!!

One suggestion
    It would be better if a field “Your Name” is added. then the message could include that name to make the message more authentic.

29. George
    March 28, 2011 at 4:32 pm #

This would be perfect for my application, but I need to place it at three different locations on my website. Once I install the widget on the first location, it disappears from the available widget list. How can I get 2 more duplicate widgets?

30. Jared
    April 3, 2011 at 10:17 pm #

Really nice plugin, I think it would be even better if it could somehow be merged with your Popup plugins. For example, site visitor clicks on a link that says “Send link to friend” and the email form appears in a popup window. I think adding this feature would make it just about perfect.

Great work though!

31. Aaron
    April 7, 2011 at 5:12 am #

Hi, i was thinking it would be good if we can send to multiple recipients.

32. Jason
    April 8, 2011 at 1:09 am #

Awesome plugin, well done. Very simple and direct.

33. Brian
    April 14, 2011 at 9:41 pm #

Not sure what to do here, but it would be nice to have a setting in the admin to turn off the “link to this page” feature of this plugin. I have it opening in thickbox instead of always shown as a widget, but then the user gets a link to may stripped down “tell a friend page” instead of being able to go to the home page.

I’m going to have to edit the core of the plugin to remove the feature for my needs. Otherwise, it’s a useful plugin. Thanks.

34. klezeus
    May 14, 2011 at 3:16 pm #

how to translate the text ? where are the files to edit and to put in french ! thanks..

35. Shannon Johnson
    June 14, 2011 at 9:20 pm #

Hi, wanted to let you know that I’ve installed this plug-in and tried testing, but it says my security code is invalid. I’ve tried reloading it several times, and each new security code does not end up working… Thanks, though. I suspect I’ll love the plug-in once I get it working…

36. maximus
    August 15, 2011 at 1:54 am #

tested the plugin to my email didnt get anything, can you assist,

37. Tony
    September 12, 2011 at 9:05 pm #

The plugin seems to have installed correctly.
    I inserted the widget into my sidebar.

The problem: when I tested the widget by sending an email link using the form, I don’t receive the email.

What should I do?

I use wordpress 3.2.1

September 13, 2011 at 1:07 am #

r u checking this in local host???? from local host we cant expect mailsss

38. Tony
    September 13, 2011 at 2:41 am #

I check the email through my aol account which is not on my local host.

39. matbaa
    September 15, 2011 at 8:50 am #

Thank you very much this extension serves me

40. matbaa
    September 15, 2011 at 8:52 am #

Thank you very much this extension serves me matbaa

41. carlos
    October 11, 2011 at 10:28 pm #

para el captacha, subir font desde el cpanel del sitio web y listo.

I finally figured for captacha, upload font from the web site’s cpanel and go.

Carlos

42. ooobe
    December 5, 2011 at 11:16 am #

This is a great plugin, Thanks a lot.

Just I have two issues:

- I always get an invalid security code.

- How can I change/translate the text of form.

43. cerco lavoro
    December 14, 2011 at 2:49 am #

Thanks for some other informative website. The place else may just I get that type of info written in such an ideal manner? I have a mission that I am simply now operating on, and I have been on the glance out for such info.

44. Guitar Tutor
    February 23, 2012 at 2:42 pm #

Great post.Thanks Again. Really Cool.

March 4, 2012 at 10:09 am #

Version 6.0 Available now.
    Now we can add this “Send link to friend” form into pages and posts

46. Dario
    April 14, 2012 at 10:10 am #

Ciao!
    I have installed “send link to friend” but I can’t see the captcha code…

June 27, 2012 at 3:05 pm #

Please see your PHP setup and check GUD enabled or not.

• Chodorowicz
        August 13, 2012 at 3:09 pm #

I have the same problem – no Captcha image. What’s GUD?

47. Vixen
    April 27, 2012 at 3:33 am #

Nice plugin, great work, Thanks.
    But I am having a problem, every time it says INVALID SECURITY CODE.

Would you please kindly suggest how to fix it.

Thanks again.

June 27, 2012 at 3:08 pm #

simple-contact-form.js open this JS file from the server and un-comment the 54th and 59th line update the file and try again. this will show the exact error.

//alert(http_req.responseText);
    //alert(http_req.responseText);

49. Anneleen Bru
    July 9, 2012 at 3:19 pm #

Dear,

Where can i translate the fields? I have found a few fields in the .php file but still can’t find ‘if you thought this page is useful to your friend, use this form to send.’

And how can we add a field for the name of the sender?

Anneleen

50. Krishoo
    September 1, 2012 at 7:41 am #

Really interesting post i like it. Thank You..

51. Ivan
    November 21, 2012 at 6:16 pm #

The plugins is correctly installed and is showing on the website but it seems that it is not sending the email (it is not on the spam folder too). Any thoughts?

52. David
    December 6, 2012 at 1:50 pm #

Thanks for your hard work. after installing the plugin it is not sending any emails , on the screen says message sent successfully but I never received it, even I tried from your website(this page) still I can not get any emails. can you please help me to fix this issue. do I have to change something in my php.ini or turn on one of the php extentions on the server?

December 6, 2012 at 3:10 pm #

Hi David,

It looks some issue on your mail server. please install any wordpress SMTP mail plugin and try again.

53. Magnus
    January 30, 2013 at 12:10 pm #

Hi!

Thanks for a great plugin! Unfortunately I can’t use it since it’s not programmed to be easy to translate into other languages. Could you please instruct on how to translate your plugin or make the plugin compatible with PO Edit or other tools? Thanks in advance!

54. Marie Walker
    February 4, 2013 at 6:21 am #

Getting the invalid code error, too. Please advise. Thank you!

55. Tim
    February 26, 2013 at 8:12 am #

We use your plug-in for a website and i have extend the plug-in with:
    - Support for multiple language using .po files
    - New option to manage the contents of the e-mail being sent
    - Some security fixes / code improvements

I wan’t to share this new code with you so that everyone can use it, it is open source off course. Please send me a e-mail so that i can send you the ZIP.

Gr, Tim

56. Zoe
    March 12, 2013 at 5:31 pm #

Thanks for this plugin, it is almost there!!!

I’d like to be able to enter who the link is being sent FROM (me), rather than it defaulting to coming from the site/admin itself.

see this link to see what I am referring to.: http://www.goto-es.com/Tell.asp

If your plugin did this, It’s be great! I think this is the flexibility that people are asking for, at least I am.

With appreciation!

57. jota
    May 1, 2013 at 9:37 pm #

The captcha function does not works.

Return : ” Invalid security code”

58. Rahul
    May 17, 2013 at 7:43 am #

How to send the location of the shops to a friend in an email. This should include the address and Google Co-ordinates.